Saturday, July 28, 2007

An update and a miracle

It took me a minute to figure out what Susan was talking about when she politely posted a comment today that I should update my blog. I had to smile when I realized that she was referring to my last post where I mentioned that my new relationship wasn't going well. It's been over a week now and I'm happy to report that things are back on track and better, in fact.

I stand by my theory that knowledge is power. The knowledge I'm referring to covers more than simply knowledge about BP, but applies more broadly to knowledge about myself, about relationships and about human nature. This time, I resisted the urge to run away when the going got tough. Similarly, I resisted the urge to enable the other person involved to do the same. I challenged myself, and him, to make a conscious choice about whether or not this relationship was worth developing, warts and all. We both decided that it was.

We both recognize that you don't reach the age that we are (late 40's) without emotional baggage, failed relationships, a somewhat biased perspective of the opposite sex, and ingrained patterns of self-defensive behaviors. We both realize that we have "trust issues" and neither of us is interested in being hurt again.

That said, we also realize that we were brought together for a reason and perhaps it's in our singular and collective best interests to water the seeds that have been planted, to give them time to grow. Who knows what might blossom? There's no way of knowing what the future holds for us, but we've decided that we want to find out.

And now for the miracle... When I arrived at work this morning my co-worker told me that her 5-year-old nephew drowned in a public swimming pool yesterday. He was not breathing when he was pulled from the pool, his precious little heart had stopped beating 3 times, and he was on life support. She said that she'd left the hospital at 5 this morning because she couldn't bear to stay a minute longer when the doctor called the family into a small room to tell them to "prepare for the worst". She came to work because she couldn't bear to sit there and wait for him to die.

We sat there, crying and praying. Through the tears, she'd remember something funny about him and start to laugh. She said that this past weekend, she'd made a movie of him running through the house in his Spider-Man pajamas screaming and laughing like crazy. It was so incredibly ironic and so indescribably sad.

Finally, I had the strongest urge to say the words that, though true, seemed so trite at a time like this. I hesitated, but the urge only grew stronger, so finally I uttered the words... "The God I serve works miracles." Less than 10 minutes later, the telephone rang. The tiny, nearly breathless voice on the other end of the phone was her nephew. Only a few minutes before, he'd been near death. Now he was asking for his "auntie" and talking to her on the phone. Needless to say, we've been celebrating all day!

Just before 5, my co-worker called me to tell me that the reporters had just left and that the story would be on the 6:00 news. Had I not known of this miracle, I would never have believed that the little boy that I saw outside playing basketball in his socks with his 9-year-old cousin this afternoon, was the same boy who laid dying in a hospital bed this morning! God is awesome.

No comments: