Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Frugality, simplicity and creativity: Pulling it all together

I want to save money - a lot of it. I've decided that I want to travel and I want to build a dream home. I also want to live a simple life, yet one that is full of love and beauty. It may sound like I'm asking for a lot, but I've finally realized that these three core life values are all interconnected. And I believe that acknowledgement of the synergies between frugality, simplicity and creativity makes achieving them possible in ways that can be delightfully productive.

So, beginning in 2008, I plan to challenge myself to commit more fully to a path that I started on in 2007. I've already downsized into a (temporary) home that I enjoy, I've purged a lot of extraneous clutter from my home and from my head, I've identified triggers that make me sick and self-care strategies that help me feel well. Now it's time to get serious about creating the financial resources I need to meet these two life goals (travel and a home), but to do it in ways that still allow me to live a fulfilling life now.

Over the past few weeks I've been developing a list of creative things I can do that support my future goals while preserving my current lifestyle. The key is to focus on strategies that combine 2 or 3 of my core values. Here's my list (F=frugality, S=simplicity, and C=creativity):
  1. Cut back on unnecessary spending by staying focused on my short- and long-term goals and prioritizing non-essential purchases. (F/S)

  2. Drink more water - spend less on sodas and coffee drinks. (F/S)

  3. Get my coupons organized and start using them regularly. (F)

  4. Research and then make bulk purchases from discount retailers on frequently-used items (i.e., coffee pods for coffee maker). (F/S)

  5. Scour the paper for coupons and sales and organize them efficiently - keep them in the car so I'll have them when I need them. (F)

  6. When buying clothes, focus on high-quality, timeless fashions in solid colors a basic color palette so that I can mix-and-match items. (F/S/C)

  7. Pick a standard collection of make-up and skin care products - only use those. (F/S)

  8. Use aromatherapy essential oils for home fragrance instead of candles, sprays, air fresheners. (F/S/C)

  9. When it's cheaper to make an item of clothing or household item, sew it instead of buying it - and get exactly the look I want (F/C)

  10. Stop buying new books - read the books I already have, use the internet, go to the library, and/or borrow books with friends. (F)

  11. Only use the dry cleaners for special items, otherwise use the $1.99 cleaners or DIY dry cleaning sheets. (F)

  12. When buying clothes, try consignment shops first, but only buy items that are truly a good value. (F/C)

  13. Be more conscious of planning meals around left-overs. (F/C)

  14. Send more free e-cards and less printed cards by mail. (F)

  15. Buy blank card stock and envelopes at the craft store and make my own cards when needed. (F/C)

  16. Use store brands if they are of sufficient quality at a better price than name brands. (F)

  17. Combine errands to use less gas (and to save time). (F/S)

  18. Be more creative in gifting - make gifts or offer services instead (F/C).

  19. Walk and dance instead of joining a health club or buying expensive exercise equipment and/or DVDs. (F/S)

  20. Use NetFlix subscription instead of going out to the movies - get my money's worth each month. (F/S)

  21. Scour the paper and the Internet, and talk to friends, about free or low-cost activities around town. (F/C)

  22. Utilize existing cookbooks or recipe websites to try to foods at home instead of going out to expensive restuarants. (F/S/C)

  23. Grow my own fresh herbs at home. (F/S/C)

  24. Take my own photographs and/or find photographs online to print and frame. (F/C)

  25. Use my budget/financial planning software faithfully, set up special categories for travel fund and dream house fund. (F/S)

  26. Get my books written, published and marketed as a source of additional revenue. (F/C)

  27. Purchase as much as possible from the Dollar Store, make it a scavenger hunt for great bargains. (F/S/C)

  28. Pack lunch for work at least 3 days each week - keep it simple. (F/S)

  29. Find out what savings and other benefits are available through AAA and other discount programs I belong to and use them whenever possible. (F/S/C)

  30. Plan dates and weekend activities around free or low-cost activities. (F/S/C)

  31. Don't buy anything that I don't absolutely need and/or love. (F/S/C)

  32. Keep my home organized, with a place for everything and everything in it's place to avoid purchasing things that I don't need because I can't find them. (F/S)

  33. Listen to cable radio or Internet radio instead of buying new CDs. (F/S)

  34. Use a list when I go shopping and try not to buy anything that's not on it. (F/S)

  35. Plan a weekly menu (incorporating new recipes) and try to stick with it. (F/S/C)

  36. Create a personalized cookbook of easy and inexpensive recipes that I can prepare on short notice with standard pantry items (stock up during specials). (F/S/C)

  37. Eat more veggies and less meat. (F/S/C)

  38. Double recipes and freeze for later. (F/S)

  39. Keep track of the number of days I can go in a row without spending any money - make it a game. (F/S)

  40. Pay bills before they're do to avoid late fees. (F/S)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ditto. Ditto. Ditto. I am going to have to bookmark this post ;)

I am always in de-clutter mode. Now that all the Christmas decor is coming down, I am going to be really picky, picky, picky, at what goes in it's place.

anita said...

Hello! your list is a great one, and inspiring. I just wanted to comment and say that our local library has all the latest movies on dvd's. we may have to wait *in line* to get it, but we have saved tons of money on rental fees.

marja said...

I like your number 39, Syd - making a game of not spending money. How satisfying winning such a game would be!

I love your lists. You are such a good list person - so organized. I admire you for that.

And I wish you well in getting your books published. Myself - I'm waiting to hear from my publisher. Sent them a proposal for my new book and just hope and pray they will do it. I've tried so many other publishers already.

A happy and healthy New Year to you, Syd.