Saturday, December 22, 2007

The Hope of Christmas Present

This will be the first Christmas in 18 years that I'll be spending without my daughter (who'll be spending Christmas on a military base in Iraq). I still remember our first Christmas in 1989. She was just over a year old on our first Christmas, had been with me since April of that year, and her adoption had just become finalized. Of course, I didn't need or want anything else for Christmas that year. I'd gotten the best Christmas present ever.

So much has happened since then. There have been wonderful memories and tragedies as well, goals accomplished and dreams deferred. The path from there to here has been circuitous, to say the least. It's been mostly an uphill struggle, but there have been bright spots in which to rest and regroup along the way. There were dark days, many of them, in which I seriously questioned whether it was all worth the effort. I finally know that the answer to that question is a resounding "Yes."

I don't have a Christmas tree this year. In fact, I haven't put up a single decoration. I'm not wrapping many presents this year, and I don't expect to unwrap many either. But it doesn't matter, because I understand the true meaning of the season, and it can't be found in a box or bought with a gift card. It doesn't cost a thing, and yet it's priceless. It can't be broken, doesn't need batteries, and is guaranteed to fit. God's love offers us peace, joy, comfort, strength, guidance and perhaps most importantly to me at this point in my life... hope.

I'm wishing you a joyous and joy-full Holiday season too, and may all your Christmas wishes come true.

2 comments:

MAGICMARKMB said...

"goals accomplished and dreams deferred".

What a wanderful line. Thats going in my diary tonight, because i too have had one of these years.

Thankyou syd, and merry christmas to all the bipolar ones.

marja said...

I admire you for skipping the traditionaly trappings this year, Syd. That - for me - would take courage I don't have. I'm trapped, along with everyone else, even though it stresses me out. Yet I feel the pressure to keep it up.

Thanks for reminding us of the true meaning of it all. God is good.