Friday, October 19, 2007

A new outlook on work

I am so far off the fast lane of corporate America that I don't think I could find the on-ramp again if I wanted to. I'm in the process of ending one business and starting a new one (more to come on this soon), but I know that I'm still going to have to *work* for a while until the new business is established. After all, a girl's gotta eat and have a roof over her head, right?

The process of job-hunting is so different now than it was years ago. I still hate it, but in some ways it's a bit less stressful. Not because jobs are more plentiful, because they aren't. The employment market has changed, and not entirely for the better. Age and experience isn't valued as much as it once was, and I'm often interviewing with people who are much younger and much less experienced than I am.

The biggest change is me. I'm at the point in my life where I no longer define myself by my career. I am not what I do from 8 to 5 each week day. I prefer to define myself by my interests, my passions, my relationshisp, my volunteer work. I am no longer a corporate professional. I'm a writer, a knitter, a teacher/trainer, a mentor, a budding photographer, a mother-best friend to my daughter, a daughter, a niece and a friend.

Today I saw a beautiful poem that says it much better than I can. I hope I'm not violating any copyright laws by posting this in it's entirety. It was written by Beverly Rollwagon, from "She Just Wants" by Nodin Press and I found it in the October 2007 issue of Skirt magazine, published by the Richmond Times-Dispatch.
Employed
Beverly Rollwagon

She just wants to be employed
for eight hours a day. She is not
interested in a career; she wants a job
with a paycheck and free parking. She
does not want to carry a briefcase filled
with important papers to read after
dinner; she does not want to return
phone calls. When she gets home, she
wants to kick off her shoes and waltz
around her kitchen singing, "I am a piece
of work."




No comments: