Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Organizing: Leaving it to the pros (Part 2)

Having professional organizers reorganizing my office last weekend was somewhat like a marathon therapy session. I had no idea that in addition to analyzing the space, we'd also be analyzing my work habits, work style, decorating preferences and a host of other issues. Thankfully, the women I hired were both as skilled at handling me as they were in handling my office clutter. They asked very probing questions, but always in a gentle and non-judgmental way.

At first I thought their goal was not to make any decisions, but to ask the right questions for me to think through the options and make clear decisions that were right for me. But the more I think about this, I'm beginning to believe that they were the organizer's equivalent of "a good wife" - someone who can get her husband to do exactly what she wants him to do, while making him think it was his idea! Here's an example of how our day went:

ORG: Syd, I notice that you put this big burned-up candle back in the stack of things to go back into your office. Did you mean to do that?

ME: Yes.

ORG: Do you mind if I ask why? Does it have some sort of sentimental value?

ME: Not really. A guy I used to work with when I was temping at a salvage yard found it in a wrecked car and gave it to me because it had a really strong scent, which I needed because the guy I shared an office with had REALLY bad breath!

ORG: That's nice... not that you had to share an office with a guy with bad breath. I mean the fact that a co-worker was kind enough to help you out with that... And it appears that you've certainly gotten a lot of use out of it. But why are you keeping it?

ME: Because I'm planning to melt it down, put a new wick in it, and recycle it because I really like the smell.

ORG: Oh! That's wonderful. I didn't realize that in addition to writing, knitting, photography, and playing the piano that you're also into candlemaking. How long have you been doing that?

ME: Well... I haven't started yet.

ORG: Really? Hmmm..... So don't you need special supplies for the wax?

ME: Yes.

ORG: Where are they? I didn't notice them in your office when we took everything out.

ME: Oh, I haven't bought them yet, but I was looking at them in Michael's Crafts just this morning, in fact.

ORG: Are they expensive?

ME: Well... kind of.

ORG: Wow. Sounds like you're really serious about this.

ME: I think it would be fun.

ORG: So, which of your existing craft projects are you planning to give up in order to pursue candlemaking?

ME: I beg your pardon?

ORG: You just finished saying that you love how streamlined your crafts storage area is. So, in order for us to keep it that way, we're going to have to take some things out in order to make room for your new candlemaking supplies. Don't worry, it's not a problem at all. We told you that this was a work in progress and that we'd probably have to do some tweaking... So, what's your pleasure?

ME: (silence)

ORG: Syd, where are you going?

ME: To throw my candle in the trash.

No comments: