Monday, October 15, 2007

Organizing: Leaving it to the pros (Part 1)

This past weekend I hired a pair of personal organizers to completely overhaul my home office. This is something I've attempted to do myself many times (with limited success) and up until last week, I considered it an extravagance that I couldn't really afford. In retrospect, it was a vital business expense that I couldn't afford NOT to invest in.

I've been self-employed for the past 6 years in a small primary data collection business which has been slowly fading away. I'm in the process of starting an exciting new business (more on this soon) and my office was, quite frankly, a mess! I could bore you with all of the psychological reasons why that was, but since it isn't any more, I won't focus on the past.

I think I watch too much HGTV, because I went into this project thinking that with 2 people working, it was probably a 5-6 hour project and it would be comparable to having a housekeeper come and do a thorough clean of the place. I couldn't have been more wrong. It was about a lot more than cleaning and moving things around and it was also about a lot more than just my physical office space.

It was a process that explored my work space, my temperament, my creativity, my professional and personal goals, my work habits, my buying habits, my sensory perception, and my stress management techniques.

Thirteen hours later (over Saturday and Sunday), I found myself not only with a beautiful new home office, but a lifestyle change too. It's become extremely important to me to keep my space looking the way it does now and the process showed me exactly how to do that through a serious of conscious choices, literally on a day-to-day basis. It takes a long time to create bad habits and they don't go away over night. But now that I have positive habits to replace them with, and I can see and feel the benefits, I'm committed to this change. In fact, I'm so motivated by the changes in my work space that I've cleared all of my work off my plate in the evenings this week and through the weekend, if necessary, so I can devote that time to applying the same approach to the rest of my home.

I'm making extensive notes about the entire experience while it's still fresh in my mind. When I'm done, I'll post more about what we did and what I learned.

(to be continued...)

No comments: