Friday, February 29, 2008

Gratitude Journal: February 2008


Here's this month's partial list of the simply abundant things that I'm thankful for that manifested during the month:

  • Got an oil change and regular maintenance on my car and they didn't find anything else that needed fixing.

  • A beautiful bouquet of tulips and balloons for Valentine's Day from my daughter, who arranged for them to be delivered to me here even though she was in Iraq.

  • My daughter is home from Iraq for almost 3-weeks and will be here to celebrate my birthday next week.

  • Even though I was laid off from my job with no notice, the process made me realize how much the people that I'd worked with (other than my boss and one colleague) appreciated me and the work I'd done for them.

  • Learned that I'm eligible for unemployment benefits. Although the checks aren't going to be much, every little bit helps.

  • Have enough money in savings to be able to spend my daughter's vacation time with her. If I had to have been laid off, this was the perfect time for it.

  • Got a 4-month contract position beginning the day after my daughter leaves to go back to Iraq - how's THAT for perfect timing?

  • The contract job doesn't pay a lot of money, but it'll be interesting and it's about a mile from my home, so I can save money on gas and lunch (I can come home each day). It's also bought me some time to conduct a proper job search.

  • Found a basic health care plan that should tide me over, it's affordable, and even if I'm not employed full-time with the temp agency after this initial contract, I can keep the coverage, which was a major concern.

  • Able to get all of my prescriptions refilled before my major health insurance policy expires tomorrow.

  • Two of my prescriptions, including one that I take every day, is available from Wal-Mart's $4 prescription drug program, saving me about $150/month on that one medication alone.

  • Since I started taking a medication to lower my cholesterol it's come down substantially in the first 6 weeks. I may even be able to stop taking it in a few months if the trend continues.

  • Celebrated the best Valentine's Day ever with my new guy.

  • The lead that led to my long-term temp job came from the guy I used to date. I guess there is something to be said for ending a relationship with style.

  • Participating in a wonderful 8-week women's support group that meets on Saturday mornings at my church.

  • Started knitting an awesome cable sweater with my #1 knitting buddy. We met at Starbucks on Sunday and knit for 3 hours. Time files when you're having fun.

  • Another wonderful month with my new guy. It just keeps getting better and better!

It's been a great month.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is such a great way to look at things.

Nancie said...

Hi, so good to read of your thankfulness for so many things :-) Take care.