Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Walk a mile in my shoes

There's something to be said for that old adage about walking a mile in another man's (or woman's) shoes. According to a recent article, scientists are saying that "traditional drug regimes for people with bipolar disorder could be increasingly replaced with therapies to treat the "triggers" of manic episodes." Spoken by people who clearly haven't lived with BP.

I don't relish the idea of taking medication for the rest of my life and I don't know many people who do. I've even been known to offer a pharameutical company conspiracy theory or two from time to time. But this brilliant idea is reminiscent of all the times that well-meaning but ill-informed family members and friends have suggested that by merely thinking positively and changing my attitude, I can end my depression. Call me paranoid, but I believe that underneath these seemingly thoughtful and optimistic suggestions lies an unstated assumption that I am somehow responsible for my depression. I caused it by "lazy" thinking, so I can get rid of it if only I'd try hard enough.

I agree, to an extent, that there is a strong mind-body connection, acknowledging that some are much better than others at being able to access it. But I don't hear anybody suggesting that a diabetic think his or her way out of the need for insulin or that someone who suffers from seizures should stop taking their anti-seizure medication and hope for the best.

For as long as I can remember, I have been dismissed and disregarded by family members, friends and co-workers, and most painfully, by doctors who have downplayed or even disputed my persistent claims that something was *wrong* with me. I found that if my symptoms could not be validated by a blood test or an X-ray, then they must not be real. In an attempt to convince me that my chronic fatigue, aches and pains, insomnia and depression were all figments of my over-stressed imagination, I've seen doctors with the audacity to ask me about my sex life - as if sex, or the lack of it, were somehow responsible for my physical symptoms. If I said that I had a boyfriend/husband, they suggested that I might want to get rid of him. If I said I didn't, they'd suggest that I get one. Is it any wonder that I never stayed with one doctor for very long?

In my decidedly non-medical opinion, even if people with bipolar disorder can learn to more successfully deal with external stressors such as unhealthy relationships, a new job or loss of one, seasonal changes or the death of a loved one, this approach negates the fact that while stress may exacerbate bipolar disorder, it doesn't cause it. Where does the concept of a chemical imbalance in the brain fit into this new model for living with bipolar disorder? Excuse my ignorance, but even if I were able to handle every ounce of stress in my life (NOT) and I stopped taking meds, what happens when the naturally occurring chemical imbalance rears it's ugly head again? But wait... if I'm doing my job of managing stress in my life, I shouldn't have depressed or hypomanic moods any more right? So, this really is my fault then... if I can cause it I can stop it right? It just doesn't make sense.

If doctors can find a way to treat my triggers... a history of toxic family issues, losing my business to cheaper labor in India, a so-far unsuccessful job search, very expensive health insurance premiums that offer minimal benefits, 10 years of chronic insomnia, just to name a few... then I'll be the first to sign up. If not, stop expecting me to fix something that I didn't break and start working on more effective meds with less dangerous side-effects, and make sure they're affordable too. And while you're at it, convince health insurance companies to cover this long-term therapy that's supposed to help so much.

If only these white coats could walk a mile in my shoes.

No comments: