Sunday, January 6, 2008

Less is more

I've been thinking a lot today about the phrase "Less is more." It's a simple phrase, but there's a lot packed into those three little words. Now that I'm focusing on simplifying my life, I'm beginning to see how the theory is relevant in so many ways.

From a purely practical point, I'm discovering that the less clutter I have in my home, the more time and energy I have to enjoy other things. The less time I spend watching television or playing online games, the more time I have to do things that are truly relaxing and uplifting to me, like blogging, reading, listening to music and knitting. The less "stuff" I have on my mind, the more I'm able to enjoy each day. The less I talk, the more I listen, and the more I listen, the more I learn.

These are all pretty obvious things, but the theory applies in more subtle ways that seem to defy the laws common thought too. For example, the less I *plan* to do on the weekends, the more I'm able to get done. When I resist my natural temptation to create a to-do-list on Saturday mornings with 50 things I *need* to get done before the weekend is over, I never get anywhere near close to completing the list and I'm always exhausted and frustrated by Sunday night. Yet, when I force myself to slow down, focus on those few things that I truly need/want to do that weekend, and plan for down time, it's as if the weekend passes in slow-motion. Not only do I get everything done that I needed to, but I feel well-rested and ready to tackle another week at work by the time the weekend is over.

And then there's the spiritual law of tithing that never ceases to amaze me. The less I try to cling to every penny, and joyfully give tithes and offerings, the more money I seem to have. I used to live from pay check to pay check - literally. I'm making a lot less now than I have in the past, yet now because I'm willing to give more freely of the little I have (responsibly, of course), the always seems to be more than enough in my bank account. I can't begin to explain it, but I can't explain how the Internet works either, but there's no doubt that it does.

So, I think the lesson is simply to let go and let God. It's a shame it took me so long to figure that out, but now that I know, there's no going back to the way life was before.

3 comments:

marja said...

When I think of that phrase, "less is more," I always think of photographs. In photography, the simpler the picture, the more powerful it is - the stronger the impact. It works that way in life too, doesn't it?

I need to thank you for your wonderfully thoughtful posts, Syd. They inspire me. You inspire me.

Syd said...

Marja,

Thanks so much for the encouragement and your support. You are absolutely right about the connection with photography. In fact, I think the term is originally credited to an architecture. Speaking of photographs, are you taking any these days? I love your pictures.

marja said...

You know, Syd, I've taken drastic measures about photography. I've put it behind me altogether. Sometimes I wonder how wise that was, but I found it took too much people-involved energy that I couldn't spare. The mental health stuff I'm doing takes a lot of people-involved energy and I find that is more important.

Now I want to use my for-myself time drawing and painting, which are solitary activities - something I often crave.

For a person who hates change and can't bear the thought of losing friends, losing photography is a big deal - especially after over 35 years of serious involvement with it. But so far it seems to be working out. Sometimes change is good.