Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Thoughts for the New Year

It's another New Year - a time of new opportunities and new possibilities... a time when many of us are pledging to ourselves, and perhaps even to others, that we're going to let go of unhealthy habits and replace them with more positive and uplifting ones. I go through this process each year, some with more successful results than others. But this morning, I saw something in the newspaper that crystallized the idea of New Year's resolutions brilliantly for me.

This is apparently a frequently reprinted post from Dear Abby that I'm guessing appeared in syndicated papers across the country today. But just in case you missed it, here it is:
JUST FOR TODAY: I will live through this day only. I will not brood about yesterday or obsess about tomorrow. I will not set far-reaching goals or try to overcome all of my problems at once. I know that I can do something for 24 hours that would overwhelm me if I had to keep it up for a lifetime.

JUST FOR TODAY: I will be happy. I will not dwell on thoughts that depress me. If my mind fills with clouds, I will chase them away and fill it with sunshine.

JUST FOR TODAY: I will accept what is. I will face reality. I will correct those things I can correct and accept those I cannot.

JUST FOR TODAY: I will improve my mind. I will read something that requires effort, thought and concentration. I will not be a mental loafer.

JUST FOR TODAY: I will make a conscious effort to be agreeable. I will be kind and courteous to those who cross my path, and I'll not speak ill of others. I will improve my appearance, speak softly and not interrupt when someone else is talking. Just for today, I will refrain from improving anybody but myself.

JUST FOR TODAY: I will do something positive to improve my health. If I'm a smoker, I'll quit. If I am overweight, I will eat healthfully — if only just for today. And not only that, I will get off the couch and take a brisk walk, even if it's only around the block.

JUST FOR TODAY: I will gather the courage to do what is right and take responsibility for my own actions.

And so, Dear Readers, may this New Year bring with it peace and joy. — LOVE, ABBY

I'm printing a copy of this for my refrigerator and another copy for my planner. If I can do these things just one day at a time, I know that this is going to be an awesome year!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just printed this off to keep on my desk..thanks...one day at a time...and some days I have to break it up into just 15 minutes!!