Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Life lessons I learned from my dog

Every now and then someone sends me one of those e-mails with Frequent Flyer miles that really resonates with me. Today, one came that was so beautiful that I feel compelled to share it it.

All my life I've been a cat-person, but for one brief period, when I needed her the most, God brought a beautiful shepherd-collie-chow into my life. I adopted her from the local animual rescue league, so according to conventional wisdom, most would say that I saved her life, but Gracie and I know that in truth, she saved mine. Gracie loved me unconditionally whether I was having a good day or a bad one. She could sense how I was feeling and always knew what to do. She protected me with her life and she trusted me with hers. We were a pretty formidable team, Gracie and I, and although our time together was short, she will always hold a special place in my heart.

Here's the part of today's e-mail that rang so true for me:
Remember, if a dog was the teacher you would learn things like:

When loved ones come home, always run to greet them.

Never pass up the opportunity to go for a joyride.

Allow the experience of freshair and the wind in your face to be pure ecstasy.

Take naps.

Stretch before rising.

Run, romp, and play daily.

Thrive on attention and let people touch you.

Avoid biting when a simple growl will do.

On warm days, stop to lie on your back on the grass. On hot days, drink lots of water and lie under a shady tree.

When you're happy, dance around and wag your entire body.

Delight in the simple joy of a long walk.

Be loyal.

Never pretend to be something you're not.

When someone is having a bad day, be silent, sit close by and nuzzle them gently.

ENJOY EVERY MOMENT OF EVERY DAY!

"Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain."

Live simply.

Love generously.

Care deeply.

Speak gently.


Thank you, Gracie.

3 comments:

marja said...

Beautiful! I like the "Live simply" part - like what you've been writing about, Syd.

Anonymous said...

I have hear that before and each time I read it I say 'Amen to that!" Is that you and Gracie??? Y'all are just beautiful ;)

Barb said...

I had 2 exceptional dogs that reminded me everyday that I matter. Thank you ShaNa & Ching!