Tuesday, January 1, 2008

More on the year in review

As I often do on New Year's Eve, I spent the early part of last night reflecting on 2007. All in all, it was a fruitful year and I have much to be thankful for. Here's my list of the top 10 accomplishments and the top 10 things for which I'm grateful for in 2007 (in no particular order):
2007 Accomplishments
  1. I learned to dance salsa.
  2. I found a new job in a different field and have met lots of new people and gained new skills.
  3. I got health insurance and took care of some long-standing medical issues.
  4. I've become more self-accepting and self-nurturing and am well on my way to forgiving myself for my past.
  5. I decorated my home in a way that reflects who I am.
  6. I've let go of a lot of material possessions that no longer suit the person I am now.
  7. I ended a relationship with as much class and grace as I started it.
  8. I started this blog and have found that writing is very therapeutic for me.
  9. I've donated generously to churches and charities, even though my income is less than it has been in recent years.
  10. I purchased a digital camera and have started exploring photography.

Things for which I am grateful:

  1. My friendship with Susan.
  2. Reconnecting with old friends who refused to give up on me even when I wanted to give up on myself.
  3. A job that pays a decent salary and medical benefits and that on many days is actually fun.
  4. My daughter is safe in Iraq.
  5. I've finally learned to enjoy my own company.
  6. I haven't had to go without anything that I needed, and was even able to get many of the things I wanted.
  7. I've learned to be happy with what I have.
  8. That I've finally learned some painful life lessons and can now move on instead of repeating the same cycle over and over again.
  9. That I'm physically and emotionally healthy.
  10. That I've met a wonderful man that I'm enjoying spending time with in the moment, without being overly obsessed or committed to a specific outcome.

1 comment:

Barb said...

Wow, powerful testamony. Have a wonderful and blessed 2008!